Some recent public discussion about the course
- Peter Craven The Australian Higher Education Supplement 27 May
- Literary critic Peter Craven argues that a course on arts criticism needs to integrate a
historical perspective to avoid academic abstraction. See reply.
- Giles Auty The Weekend Australian Review 23-24 May, p.23
- English art critic Giles Auty questions whether criticism is treated seriously enough in
Australia to warrant a course.
- Express ABC Television 21 May 10:05pm
- In a feature item, Stephen Feneley interviewed a variety of cultural figures about their
response to the course. Bernard Smith (art critic) and Adrian Martin (film critic, The
Age) speak highly of the idea. John McDonald (art critic, Sydney Morning Herald) and
Deborah Jones (arts editor, The Australian) argue against it.