Off the Beaten
Developed with Ross Gibson
- What people colonised this place after the indigenous occupation?
- When did this colonisation occur and what great and influential events were
happening in the world at this time?
- Where was the first landing?
- Where was the first settlement?
- What negotiations occurred with indigenous people?
- What commodities or activities supported the colony as it tried to become
- Were indigenous people involved with this? If so, how?
- What is the name of this colony now?
- Is this name different from its name during the settlement years?
- What is the motto on the national coat of arms?
- What is the national currency called?
- What special ceremony occurs on the National Day?
- For which activities (art, literature, and sport) is the country particularly known?
- What are the principal industries and how do they affect both the national economy and
the national character?
- What is the present status of Aboriginal culture in relation to contemporary economy and
- What is the main national feast daydoes it commemorate a date or
event? What activities are performed in relation to this day?
- What role does the church play in matters of government?
- What form of government (democracy, monarchy, or socialist state?)
Exercises (for individuals and small groups)
- Take a map of Australia on which are marked place locations and draw details including
main population centres, main food crops and flocks
- Design a flag
- Compose music and words for a national anthem
- Design a national costume
- Design a coat of arms.
- Design a currency
- Script an advertisement for tourists wishing to visit the country which features members
of the local population greeting visitors (equivalent of Ozzie gday)
- Construct a newstory for today which involves the discovery of artefacts that suggest
Australia was actually colonised at one stage by this nation
- Write an oath of allegiance